Complete the problem “Solar Sleuth” by 8am tomorrow morning for extra credit. Bring the answer (and your work) on a sheet of looseleaf to Mr. Tubbs at the beginning of the school day.
Pi Day Challenges 2018
Over the weekend, NASA announced that veteran astronaut, John Young had passed away at the age of 87.
THIS article in the New York Times discusses his life and impact on space exploration. You can translate the article if needed by visiting Google Translate and pasting the web address.
Read the article, and using the QAR strategy, answer the following questions:
- How many years did Young work for NASA?
- In what year did he walk on the moon?
- How many trips did he make to the moon?
- How many times did he fly into space?
- In what branch of the military did he fly as a pilot?
- Robert Crippen, who flew with him, called Young a “hero.” Based on the text, why do you think he was considered a hero by fellow astronauts?
- What did you find most interesting from this article about Young’s life?